Total Pageviews

Tuesday 21 May 2024

When Nelson Mandela spoke to me, I was sure the world was going to get better…(503)

In a very early post on this blog I wrote an account of Meeting Nelson Mandela

 

More recently I was scanning a piece in The Guardian about the whole collapse of hope and momentum in S Africa since Mandela died. A little disingenuous one might conclude considering the collapse of hope and absence of positive momentum here in the UK and the rowing back of social and political gains and collapse of social infrastructure since the Thatcher years – and all without the challenges faced by that troubled country…

 

One strong recollection of the day was the euphoria over his release and how ecstatic I was when I met him in Glasgow and how convinced I was that this was a sign that anything could change for the better.

 

I'm not someone who idolises people. I never had posters of popstars on my walls as a teen even but I was star struck that day and as brimming with hope as everyone else. I felt an echo of it when Obama was elected - and now it all seems to have turned to ash.

 

I don't get it.

 

It’s like the table was spread with a very appetising buffet - someone finally took the covers off but we let a handful of yobs in, they stole anything good, trashed everything else and left decent folk with scraps and wreckage...