Total Pageviews

Tuesday 6 October 2020

366. NETFLIX/BREXIT scammers & my naked dream...

Like you, I get scam emails. The latest was a febrile, pyretic spew about my Netflix account needing attention URGENTLY. The sort of attention that would – obviously – involve  giving bank details.

Now – as my bleaders (blog readers) will be aware, I’ve not had TV since last century so if you assume I also do not have a Netflix account you would be correct. Suffice to say I did not need to read the email detail to realise it was yet another ruse to empty my already echoey bank account. (Someone should tell these people not to target artists who’ve not had a sniff of work since March)

As I was wearily deleting the email it occurred to me that this scam – which presumably caught some folk or they wouldn’t do it – is exactly like the Brexit scam or Brexit as it is called.

The sad thing is that instead of taking a moment to look around or a second to think – the duped masses who voted for the current self-annihilation simply responded to the fevered nature of the jingoism, the heated rhetoric of the racism and anti-foreigner slurry which has served the ruling elite so well since 1381 and forever. 

The turkeys who voted for Christmas looked at the big red bus and its big purple lie and did not stop and think – hang on – the last time I went to the GP she was a foreigner. The last time I was in hospital it was an immigrant cleaning the ward – it was a Spanish nurse who looked after me. They did not stop to think – hang on – large companies who want to screw over British workers actually do it by shipping call centres out to countries that don’t pay minimum wages – it’s nothing to do with immigration. They did not stop to think that if they don’t want migrants displaced by war and a destabilised Middle East they maybe should be tackling war criminals like Tony Blair not talking about building floating walls in The Channel (presumably – Trump-like – they’d get migrants to pay for it???)

No – they just mentally clicked the link and handed over their lives to the arseholes. Thing is – they handed over mine too – and that’s not fair.

I keep thinking I’ll wake up and it’s all been a stress dream like where you are running naked down the street and there is nowhere to hide. Perhaps it’ll be one of those confusing reveries, like that ridiculous episode of Dallas back in 1986, where an entire series was wiped out by the it-was-all-a dream trick. 

Sometimes I imagine the grown-ups will walk into the room and laugh at me when I say I thought the whole country voted for self-harm based on obvious and ridiculous deceits. Then they will really chuckle madly when I tell them I thought Boris Johnson and a load of other corrupt half-wits were running the country…

Because surely – no one would fall for such an obvious con…

 

*

Do check out

MY BOOKS


*

PLUS

Black History Month round table discussion on

Jambo! radio