Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 8 September 2026

BROWN GIRL OUTSIDE THE RING

So, in terms of the world and all that jazz, things are getting weird. The weirdest part of the weirdness is the way humans continue on as if nothing is changing. Despite the catastrophic failures of late stage Capitalism which is nowhere more evident than here and across the pond in America. We cling to the idea that tomorrow is going to be the same as today.


And yet today is nothing like yesterday.


The things that encourage those still keeping their heads above water to think this way include; the anaesthetic of moronic t.v., being anchored by debt, all the stuff, things, behaviours of consumerism I’ve listed on this blog for years.

 Plus, there's a willingness to listen to obvious conmen if they target and blame those lower down the ladder, more unfortunate and preferably a different colour. Also that even more inexplicable willingness to listen to the inadequate dysfunctional tech billionaire weasels proclaiming that AI is going to make everything better with a virtual world and Mars space travel. By the way, here’s my dystopian novella on that subject Zero One Zero Two e-book or paperback.


I often wonder if my rejection of this stuff was a conscious decision, an accident of behaviour and circumstance, or if there is something wrong with me. Or all of the above!


Anyhow, my first blog of the Autumn is named after my blog

By the reactions of people if they find out, for example, I’ve not had television since last century, maybe I should have called this blog “IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME?”

I wont demean poetry by calling this offering that, its a rant. It just happens to rhyme because somewhere the poet in me got tangled up with the spewing.


BROWN GIRL OUTSIDE THE RING

(Is there something wrong with me?)


I’m a pre-historic stone age gal from the world of the T-Rex

You wont find me on twitter, instagram, snapchat or X

My mind is decades back with basic internet

Email, snail mail and texting is as modern as I get


I’ve never own a dishwasher, smartphone or microwave

My daughters roll their eyes at me and tell me to behave (comply?)

Sans car I ride the bike I’ve had for over 50 years

With dented spokes and dodgy brakes leather saddle and 3 gears


I don’t want congealed fast food out of a cardboard tub

Brought by cyclists risking death from an anonymous food hub

I don’t want gurning game show hosts with stretched and plastic faces

Asking what’s the capitol of various far flung places


Why are wheeled suitcases on trains the size of giant coffins

Are folk who research on facebook really highbrow boffins

I sag with heavy weariness at mass passive compliance

Where’s anger, energy, creativity, independence and defiance


Social media, modern politics, genocide, smartphones, data centres, rubbish thrown from cars, vaping on buses, pollution, neo-fascism, reality t.v., privatisation, junk food, watches that tell you how much you’ve walked or slept, holidays abroad to places ruined by the folk who go there (did I mention genocide?). Farage, the people who voted for him, the people who funded him, the media that platformed him oh and thanks to climate wreckage, the invasive rosemary beetle that devastated my lavender this summer…


So much about the modern world makes me want to shout

Trust me I prefer being left out... 

*

see you in October.