Total Pageviews

Tuesday 16 May 2023

481. Brexit Britain - from sick man of Europe, via irritating slightly delusional cousin to pitiable, stuck-in-the-past old git in just 7 years.

Almost no one outside a lunatic asylum now believes Brexit was anything other than a disaster.

What is less often acknowledged is how quickly the harm, predicted by those shouted down by the swivel eyed loons prior to 2016, has happened. Britain has sunk so far already. And I’m not talking just the economy or its self-worth and global reputation. 

My strongly held view is there is a sense in Europe that Britain is starting to look very left behind. 

It’s a feeling I distinctly recall when I used to regularly stay in Ireland pre-The Good Friday Agreement. Something about the ongoing focus on conflict had left the country feeling as if it were stuck in past decades. Way past decades.

As life and the pace of change speeds up exponentially, it should come as no surprise that getting left behind can happen even more quickly.

This came home to me just recently in a conversation with a Polish contractor.

I am (again) in the midst of house renovation (when will I ever learn?) As well as hacking away at 70 year-old glued-on floor tiles and cutting up carpet – 3 layers deep in one room – sorting wasps in the attic etc. there have been a legion of contractors from the rewire to new plumbing.

It was only in talking to the Polish contractor that I began to sense the gentle sympathy of the moving forward for the left behind. And I’m not talking about his noticing that I don’t have a smartphone.

In discussing building materials and practices he uses compared to the British builders, it’s clear he thinks the UK is already a good half decade behind new ideas and practices on the continent. He also seems to feel this is widely accepted as fact in Europe. Phrases such as ‘we don’t do that anymore’ ‘That is not something that is used in Europe any more’ kept popping up.

Early on in this blog I wrote about how quickly the UK could become the Greece of Europe. In fact this has not only happened more quickly than I envisaged –it has happened more deeply and more obviously and more catastrophically than the most Cassandra of Remainers ever foresaw.

But we did foresee. Not because we have special powers but because the lunacy and self-harm of Brexit was always obvious.

*

Do remember to check out My BOOKS here or via extended distribution from your own favourite online bookseller.