Total Pageviews

Tuesday 8 November 2022

455. Tesla top twat tweeting twaddle…

… and my belated ten-year blog birthday.

I forgot to celebrate my 10 yr. anniversary of blogging. So – happy belated decade blogging and doodling to me.

I’d go into an extended piece here about the changes I’ve observed over the last decade  which encompasses my blog but that can be summed up simply as DOWNHILL all the way for the UK.

The last decade has seen global catastrophes link and merge in an as yet barely realistically acknowledged looming climate and environment catastrophe.

Here in Brexit Britain – the privatisations begun last century by Conservative icon and nemesis of the caring – Margaret Thatcher - have come home to roost in truly dreadful ways. A defunct railway system, failing energy provision at a time of energy crises and water unfit for humans around the coast of Britain as the privatised water companies sold off reservoirs and – like their counterparts in other privatised utilities – siphoned off billions of public money to their shareholders. That has always been the point of privatisation.

Many systems are hanging by a thread. The NHS –and many others are in a fight for their lives. Schools. The care system. Mental health services. Public infrastructure. And so on.

And yet still, still – we idolise and follow those born to wealth and privilege with vast personal fortunes either inherited or married into or gained – as per the Russian Oligarchs and those who profiteered more recently from the pandemic - by literally selling their countries down the river.

Then there are others like Trump and Musk pedalling a fake version of themselves so successfully that what we’d revile or ridicule in those without their platforms is idolatrised and made godlike.

Like Trump and Boris Johnson, Musk has made misstep after misstep. He, like Trump and Johnson, is a personal disaster, fathering random children he appears to have little fatherly feeling for. For all the adulation he invokes, Musk like Trump and Johnson is also incredibly thin skinned – taking on arguments more suited to a 7 year-old in a playground but using the mega platforms of our era to amplify his infantilism.

On this blog years ago, I stated that Brexit would bring Britain down to Greece 2.0 and it is. I pointed out that Labour’s Miliband would not win the general election he was predicted to win – not because he wasn’t the best candidate but because I looked at things those in the Westminster bubble did not factor in – the soap-opera loving nation that would not forgive him for stabbing his brother in the back. Also the bacon sandwich fiasco! Looks are everything if you’re not a right wing lunatic in which case you get away with literally having blood on your hands. And so on and so forth.

Johnson was allowed – years later – to ‘let the bodies pile up’ during covid – lie and cheat and bluster and fail fail fail again in office and appoint dreadful people – but he’s a Tory.

Longer more all-encompassing predictions are painted in my novella Zero One Zero Two and also my audio story Casey & the Surfmen. Also coming to sad dark fruition.

Though as we approach that point of no return we thought was still far away at the turn of the century – these can hardly now be labelled predictions. It would be like someone alluding to Orwell’s 1984 in 1982…

After last week’s post I sent out a letter to editors on my usual list (my small number of regular readers will know my letters appear in a number of papers in the UK and some abroad) stating that despite his refusal, Sunak would indeed go to COP27. Not because I’m a seer but just because it was 100% obvious and again – I simply do not understand the surprise of media/Westminster commentators. From the point he said he wouldn’t go and gave his pathetic reason, it was obvious he’d U-turn.

But it’s not a huge mind stretch to predict that Chief Twat will cause more mayhem now he has control of Twitter. You do not need a crystal ball to see that his ego, unchecked by self-awareness or human decency or caring or maturity, will wreak mayhem on the weak-minded and gullible. Mark the lack of real condemnation when he undermined the efforts of Ukraine in its life or death struggle against Russia. A spoilt brat with a too big toy chucking a turd into an operating theatre where exhausted, bloodied surgeons fight to save life – is the image that comes to mind.

But there is lots of good stuff too in my last decade. In that time my family has grown by two sons-in-law and three grandchildren and more children to extended family. Not too many people I love have died. I’ve written more books and read many. I’ve renovated more houses in various states of dilapidation – which apart from my writing is something that gives me immense satisfaction.

I watch with interest as fascism in its reinvented forms again has its day – sadly scorching and burning – and leaving us with the tired old questions left over from last century – what will be left and can we rebuild?

So – I celebrate my little blog – albeit it’s more an outlet for my anguish and frustration at times. But it keeps me sane and it is sane. And Twitter is mad. And for all the folk who have told me over the years that I ought to be on social media and definitely on Twitter – I continue to say – thanks but no thanks…

As for what has happened in the decade since I began this blog – I think its best summed up in a couple of old doodles from 2013



In other words – things under the Tories and other right-wing administrations with their greed and short-termism and self-interest haven’t so much changed as got exponentially and unbelievably much worse…

*

Thanks for reading and do - as always - check out My BOOKS