Total Pageviews

Tuesday 23 May 2023

482. I’m not sick of being right – I’m scared…

Following the announcement by BT (privatised UK telecommunications giant and sponsor of prestigious sporting gigs despite their crap customer service record) announced that 5k jobs would go due to their tech developments. In other words if you thought their customer service was shite to date – watch this space.

Goldman Sachs anticipates the loss of 300k jobs globally due to the impact of AI.

Are we really going to stumble into this very predictable dystopia the way Britain strode into the obvious long term harm of utilities privatisation and more recently the entirely foreseeable catastrophe of Brexit? The answer seems to be yes. We’re doing it.

Many years ago I got sick of asking the bank clerks who constantly harangued me about online banking, why they were working so hard to unemploy themselves. A year ago I had a conversation with a depressed clerk in a branch which was about to close (one of 5 in my area) and the idea that the wholesale closures were the entirely predictable result of years of insisting on customers banking on-line never seemed to have occurred to her. It’s also worth pointing out that online banking has marched hand in hand with the exponential growth in easy and extensive bank account fraud.

I’ve had literal stand up arguments in Lidl about self-service tills replacing traditional tills (see blog 218). Call me crazy but if I’m going to hand over hard gotten money I want to be treated like a human being and be served by someone earning a wage.

I presume at some point the mega companies will realise that when they have unemployed everyone for profit, there will be no one to buy their shit?

Our chances of remaining below crisis-level global warming are now in the rear view mirror so it seems the four horsemen of the Apocalypse are pretty much on siesta.

I argued against the evils of privatisation of utilities and public services in the 1980s. Most of those horrors have surpassed even the most extreme predictions.

On this blog I have so many posts on how humans are working incredibly hard towards their own economic and environmental destruction I feel I am my own stuck record;

Blog 12 Armageddon Will Not Be Televised sets the scene but then there are posts 18/30/36 – skip to 108 – 147 – 158. Global Danse Macabre or Living in The Penisic Era – 167. Try - 171 Privileged White Men Keep Getting It Wrong.

Really getting to it 202 – The TAT Economy or 208 The Cannibal Economy

See blog post 263 (I may not keep this promise) and so on – take your pick.

310. Extinction - Why Are People Still Choosing The Blue Pill?

354. Post-covid The World Must Ditch Slum Economics With Its ‘Ragged Trousered Philanthropists’

363 Debt Is Compulsory - Reality Is Redundant

Or more recently -

417. Fantasy Futurists are Failing The Human Race

428. Born in 1899 Macfarlane Burnet understood. Why don’t we?

 

It’s all packaged up, sci-fi dystopian fantasy form, in my novella -

Zero One Zero Two 


In my more hopeful moments I suspect incompetence may save us...

I recall many years ago (2004) in the UK we were told to ditch our analogue radios as the BBC was going digital. Everything would be digital. On that basis I went out and bought myself a brand new very nice analogue radio at knock down price. I kept it for over 15 years and still use an analogue radio.

It’s the same reason I wonder why so many are taken in by conspiracy theories. Many of them require so much planning and secret keeping and global co-operation all on a scale I’ve literally never seen accomplished.

Ironically, if humanity is to be saved from itself – it may be due to our ineptitude and inability to work together…

*

I’m breaking for the summer as I have some festival work based on my children's poetry anthology and hope to crack open the new anthology I put on hold for house renovation.

Meanwhile do check out my other books all listed here My BOOKS or check them out via your own favourite online book store.