Total Pageviews

Monday 24 January 2022

420. Political bullying claims bring back very painful memories.

I do not believe the feigned astonishment of Business Minister Kwasi Kwarteng re the claims of Tory bullying and harassment. These things go hand in hand with the leadership of inadequate people.

Grant Shapps (the creepy train guy) resigned in 2015 amidst bullying claims but has found much favour in Boris Johnson’s government. Priti Patel (current Home Secretary and migrant botherer) was found guilty of bullying and remained in Johnson’s cabinet. It’s a sign of weak leadership – and corrupt leadership –and incompetent leadership – when your willingness to suck up to a leader is literally all that counts. The flip side of that ultimately insecure position, for those who begin to suspect the Emperor (world king) is wearing no clothes, is that ‘other’ methods have to be found. Bullying. Intimidation. Threats.

It may be that the 2019 intake – many from what are described as Red Wall constituencies, ex- Labour seats – suffer from not growing up with the public school fagging system so are shocked that such tactics are regarded as acceptable to the true blue Tories. However, it is also something that takes hold when the person in charge is simply a control freak or has got used to running a feudal system such was the case when I was elected the first black woman councillor to Newcastle City Council in 1988.

While I have little sympathy for Christian Wakeford,  (he has an appalling voting record but he can count and defected to Labour to save his seat) – the episode of the bullying and intimidation he reported brought back very unpleasant, upsetting, hugely painful memories.

I was tagged as a trouble maker for, among other things, vociferously supporting those campaigning against the Poll Tax - even though Newcastle City Council was supposedly a Labour council. Access to the press was strictly controlled by the same system of feudal favours exerted over the rank and file councillors and there was of course no social media alternative.

When I openly protested the excesses and abuses of the councillors' allowance system, over a decade before the MPs expenses scandal, leader Jeremy Beecham (now in the lords) who had already ostracised me over the Poll Tax threatened to remove the whip. Tony Flynn – his loyal side kick - even phoned my then husband, who had no involvement in politics, to get me to 'behave'. Subsequently, Beecham sent one of his 'boys' to try to get me deselected prior to the second election I stood in and won. And when a school in Beecham’s patch was 'saved' from closure after a failing Ofsted report by sudden, inexplicable and hugely damaging amalgamation with the school where I was chair of governors, I made a fuss along with the headmistress Sheila Clement-Jones.  It got a very nasty. On one occasion I received a threatening late night phone call from a union activist, parent governor of the failing school and gob shite. I alluded to the incident at the area meeting the following day - saying if it happened again I'd go to the police. Though I had little hope of that as I’d once approached the police about an anonymous racist letter I’d received to my home and got a can-do-nothing response.

Realising, among other things, that many of the real decision were made by THE BOYS in the pub and the committee meetings that took up so very much of my time were a waste – I ultimately resigned. Following the illegal invasion of Iraq I also left the Labour party which I'd been a member of since my student days.

IT is important to say that the majority of Newcastle city councillors (many of whom were old enough to be my grandparents) could not have been nicer to me, were in fact incredibly kind.

 I learnt a huge amount and had insights into the workings of THE SYSTEM that few are privy to but resigning was a decision I never once regretted.

The thing is – there is all the difference in the world between the bullying control of inadequate men who seek and increasingly seem to attain power and real leaders. We need, as a society, to learn to tell the difference.

This is the scary young black woman (23 when this pic was taken) who made the bully boy's piss their collective pants.


*

Just quick note, if you in Edinburgh Friday 28th Jan, I'll be doing a short set at Teviot Underground (Edinburgh uni) 8pm and remember do check My BOOKS thanks so much.