Total Pageviews

Tuesday 10 November 2020

371. Biden’s job is the same as mine…

… so hold your nose Papa Joe.

Relief. That is what we all felt – the sentient decent people. If relief gave way to anything it was a kind of wonder that this old guy had also done something SO radical as carrying with him the first woman of colour (as the Americans say) to the position of VP in the midst of some of America’s most hideous racial monstrosities this century. Here in the UK, the left-of centre party hasn’t even managed a non-white leader and they did have the chance a couple of years ago as Labour leadership in Scotland was up for grabs. They chose a grey, grey Corbyn shadow when they could have had Anas Sarwar... 

However, Biden has an uphill task and I know exactly what it’s going to be like because he’s going to be doing my job.

Prior to Boris Johnson’s DISASTROUS handling of covid (and remember we were already in the deepest of deep doo doo because of Brexit) I was scraping a living I enjoyed as a writer and performer. Like a lot of creative folk, I’ve had not a sniff of work since March when my 2020 gigs/festivals were cancelled and not likely to have any in the near future.  So, a couple of months ago I took a cleaning job.

I like my cleaning job. Early morning walks while the air is not entirely choked with diesel fumes and a physical job in an empty building really helps work out the mind mess that is living in the UK right now. It’s like going to quiet gentle gym 5 mornings a week but getting paid minimum wage for the privilege and with no need for the ridiculous lycra.

However, someone, on Sunday afternoons in the mens' toilet – behaves like a demented tyrannosaurus with norovirus that has consumed its weight in exploding beans. More than once I’ve gone into the men’s loos on my Monday morning shift to find turd apocalypse. I’m talking cubicle walls, floor, toilet bowl – ok, I’ll stop there. 

The point I’m making is that brilliant as it is that Papa Joe is President-elect he sure has a job on his hands. I struggled for four years to believe that a nasty piece of crap like Trump could be anyone’s idea of a leader but that morphed into feeling that he could not be got rid of, like dried-on mess on a cubicle wall.

When Biden enters the White House after Trump, I suspect it’s going to be the political equivalent of my Monday morning experiences…

Go Joe. You can do it…


*

You can link/follow this blog so that you don't need to remember to seek it out on a Tuesday

*

And do check out my books for adults and children especially - for Christmas - my new kids' poetry anthology 

Fun Poems for Children