Total Pageviews

Friday 3 July 2020

(Friday extra) No point defeating Covid if the planet is doomed! + support an artist...

Chris Packham (I’m a fan) made the point during last year’s climate change protests that it would have been good to see black faces involved in the protests. I agree 100%. There is a particular conundrum of black people feeling part of broader issues when they often don’t feel part of broader society.

It is also massively problematic (harking to the previous post - below) when the media think the only time you allow brown faces to the fore is during racial upheaval and the only time you prominently feature black voices on the radio news is when there’s been  ‘urban’ unrest.

Where are the black commentators being regularly platformed about the economic collapse awaiting us in December? Where are the black scientists or black teachers regularly talking in prominent arenas about current issues in those fields?

It was only after I published last week’s open letter that I considered further just how hard it is for black people and people of colour to get attention for what they say if it is not specifically to do with being black. It’s a very tight pigeon hole.

So, I’m taking the opportunity of another bandcamp Friday supporting artists (like me) during this pandemic, when even those of us who made less than a modest income from our work have seen it dry up to nothing, to push this idea.

The piece I am promoting this week from bandcamp is entirely about the environment – something I’ve written about a great deal. Because – yes – if you've read my blog you know that I have opinion pieces on that – on world economics – education – poverty - equality yada yada yada.

So – if you would like to listen to this epic poem (I mean epic in the traditional sense not the modern idiom used in advertising) consider the environment AND support an artist – do follow this link and pay £3 to download 25 minutes of a lyrical modern fable. If you do it this today  Friday July 3rd I will get ALL THREE OF THE POUNDS . If you do it after bandcamp friday I'll still get something so go to

Casey & the Surfmen (bandcamp)

Thank you

 *

To check out my books – click this link Amanda's Books