Total Pageviews

Tuesday 29 January 2019

296. The freedom of 20 years without it…


2019 marks 20 years since I went television-free. Younger folk may be saying – so what! But trust me – many of my generation regard TV as second only to oxygen in their list of essentials. Once, when the TV licence Gestapo came to my house, they even checked the bathroom for signs of TV usage.


But then, I've never owned a microwave / dishwasher / smart phone, never had a Fb or other social media account (this blog is it) never used a credit card despite persistent pressure from my bank. I don’t own a car blah, blah, blah. For the strange and looming month of February why not step out here with me; outside the ring, outside the loop, outside the matrix.

Yes, I know, I’m never going to be 'liked' by 20m people because I post a picture of me with new nail varnish but, I’m just saying, a lot of the STUFF we're conned into thinking is life enhancing and essential really is not. Plus, if you get rid of those ‘time saving’ devices and apps you’ll actually have real time. Time to think. Time to look. Stop following mediocre exhibitionists and you may have time to make your own life special. So, come on out, the air is lovely (in a few remaining places) and the mind space is amazing.


I just mention this because it came to mind as I schlepped into 2019 almost pre exhausted. Also, if things continue as they are, many things we take for granted may soon become scarce. Just yesterday top supermarkets warned that crashing out of the EU with No Deal will lead to shortages and empty shelves.

Of course, if humans continue the way they are, none of this will matter because the planet will become uninhabitable for most living things including ourselves.

So lighten up and chuck some stuff.

And - check out one of my more unusual books

Zero One Zero Two