Total Pageviews

Tuesday 11 June 2019

315. New from The W.H.O


The World Health Organisation has warned of global disease disasters due to wars, environmental damage, disinterest from well-off countries, the way we treat (ignore) masses of vulnerable people, misinformation and weak government. Last week this potentially imminent horror just managed to squeak through the low grade hubbub that passes for daily discourse in the privileged West.

The latest WHO statement is common sense. What it is not is new news.

I am no Cassandra but even this blog laid out similar scenarios years ago before getting blog-bogged with the Trump/Brexit depressions.  Check out -  Armageddon will not be televised. Plus, see last week’s post. My dystopian novella Zero One Zero Two portrays in dramatic fiction (+a bit of poetry - well you know me...) – the exact scenarios the World Health Organisation are trying to warn about.
*
On a lighter note, as I shut up shop for a couple of months, I’ll leave you something positive from my ‘other’ writing life.

Recently I published a comedy poetry collection with a bonus short story. 
Humorous Verse for Parents is the type of book I’d like to have read when I became a parent. It does not pretend there is a perfect way of child-rearing – unlike the ubiquitous and dictatorial parenting manuals. Nor does it paint parenthood as an ongoing horror story like some of the smug ‘wits’ pedalling their flippant ‘having kids ruined my life’ tomes on the internet. It is a kind but comic observation of the realities of that wonderful, heart-wrenching, panic-inducing, exhausting, exhilarating, confusing, life altering, sledge-hammer-to-the-gut experience which is Parenting.

Enjoy.
Back in September.